I found myself today wishing I could eat a Reuben Sandwich. The delectable, crisp, buttery rye overflowing with melted swiss, sauerkraut, and corned beef - and don't forget the Russian dressing!
Unfortunately - not only are there no places in Kiev that sell reubens (to my knowledge )- but not only can you not buy Russian dressing - but surprisingly Sauerkraut isn't present either. Ok - the un-availability of corned beef isn't a surprise.
Truth be told, I've never made a Reuben myself - I order them on rare occasions - the last one this June with my Mom at the Dayton Bookstore and Brewery. Yum.
So i scour the internet - all things must be able to be made from scratch is my motto - and so they can. If i can track down Prague powder and juniper berries - i can have Corned Beef at my disposal in a mere 10 days. Sauerkraut another 20. I think I can live without the Russian dressing - but then again, there is bound to be a recipe for it or thousand island somewhere on the internet as well. A grocery story in the center sells a beautiful rye - much nicer than the Ukrainian Baton you can buy in the kiosks - and swiss can be bought in any supermarket. If all goes well - I may be sinking my teeth into a Reuben within a month. Maybe I could even open a grill and add Cheesesteaks, Monte Cristos and other purely American inventions to the lineup.
1 comment:
The Hubers might have a sauerkraut stash. I know they have it at Thanksgiving, just don't know how much they stock.
Post a Comment