Monday, January 14, 2008

Waitsburg on the map!

So after years of complaining that there is nothing to do in Waitsburg - that it is a dinky - do nothing town - my friend sends me the following:
In Arthur Frommer's Budget Travel an article titled"10 Coolest Small Towns." - Low and behold town #6 is WAITSBURG, WA!!! I was like "Wow, I've been there before." The places they said were cool to go were "Whoopemup Hollow Cafe, Jimgermanber, AMO Art, Laht Neppur Brewing Co, and Monteillet Fromagerie." I didn't recognize any of these names, but I just thought it was cool that Waitsburg was considered a cool town by a national magazine. "

When I read that I LAUGHED OUT LOUDED (Alister - who was trying to work - glared at me)
So I checked it out and lo and behold - the article exists. http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2007/08/06/AR2007080600786.html Now, Waitsburg is a nice town - very quiet and quaint and lovely (For things to do I love the Buffalo feed and Days of Real Sport myself) - but still reccomended places are mostly all eating establishments - and not very "budget" ones at that - so for Budget Travel - (note that my idea of budget is quite frugal - and thinks 'family' or student) It's not the best tourist destination unless you are grown, with money - and hungry, or hankering for a short walk up and down mainstreet.

As for me - I hadn't heard of the Fromagerie before - and have put it on my places to check out next time I am home.

Bravo Waitsburg - for making it on the map! Just add some other activities to the line up and it will really be a place for visitors to linger in. (Personally, I think a trail, hiking, biking, walking, roller blading along the river - from Prescot to Dayton would be great - might even be able to be done along with greater flood prevention by building up the dikes)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey you two, I'm the author of the article you found (rather belatedly). I must take exception to the claim that all of these places are eating establishments, and pricey at that. The Whoop, jimgermanbar and Laht Neppur are eating/drinking establishments, and all offer fine choices at ridiculously cheap prices. So check them out before you proclaim about something you don't really know. AMO art, by the way, is a gallery, not an eating establishment. There's more to do, but Budget Travel limited me to 200 words.
Paul Gregutt

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...