Saturday, April 5, 2008

Dippy Dippy Dip or Where's Matthew K when you need him?

A few weeks ago, Alister filled in for the Teen Youth group and put me in charge of games. Growing up - I never actually got to go to Youth group much (we lived too far away) - but fortunately I do love games and paired with that and the amazing capabilities of google - I compiled a list of options. However there was one game that I loved that I wanted to revive - Dippy Dippy Dip. Unfortunately,I had missed the CC road road trip where this game, and another mysterious "Do you want to buy a duck?" game were played non stop and so I wasn't really fully inducted to the rules and not really qualified to teach it to others.
And so in my moment of need - Google failed me - There were no directions for "Dippy Dippy Dip" anywhere on the internet. Finally after hours of searching - I found "2" relevant links - but even they weren't directions, but rather videos . After some other long minutes of watching and rewatching the videos I decided to just go with what I remembered the game to be and add a few things that they seemed to be doing in the video - thats how games evolve and change anyway right?
Alister wasn't convinced the kids would like the game - "it's too Juvenile" I replied that I was playing it in college and thought it was the best game ever - maybe even better than King Elephant.
"King Elephant?"
Anyway, he left the games up to me - and the kids loved in in church the next day a few of the kids started dippy dippy dipping at me when they saw me - So I think they'll even continue the dippy dippy dip tradition
Sarah's Made up Direction for Dippy Dippy Dip, and why video was probably the better option
Everyone stands in a Circle.
One person starts with the "Dippy dippy Dip" If you have the Dip, You hold your hands together, your index fingers extended like a "gun"
The two people on Either side of the "Dippy Dippy" Have the "Dip". They hold their hands up and make them open an close like little puppets.
The "Dippy Dippy DiP" person, says dippy dippy dip and shakes his "gun hands" up and down with each word - at the word Dip he "throws" the dippity to someone else in the circle who immediately starts to say dippy dippy dip and does the same things.
Meanwhile, the people on either side of "Dippy" open and close their "puppet" hands and Say "Dip Dip Dip"
The dip dip dip people are always on either side.
The game will go pretty fast, as fast as the dippy dippy dip person talks - and so it gets fun and frantic as people catch the "Dippy" and have to switch between being "dippy"and being Dip, or not being anything at all.
To make the game more interesting, you can also throw the Dippy Dippy Dip into the air - at which point EVERYONE in the circle throws up their hands and says "YeeHaw!" Or you can throw the dip to the ground, at which point every one does a deep and gust football player spike "HO HO HO"
People are out when they miss their turn to be the "dip" or the "dippy" - the circle gradually shrinks and the last three left "standing" are the winners.
Hmm. Maybe there is a reason why people never attempted to explain the game before . . . Maybe we should stick to the experts.

2 comments:

Jeanine said...

wow, I am utterly confused. even more so after watching that video!

black Sunshine said...

OMG. i've been wondering if i imagined playing this game when i was a kid - but it's REAL! dip dip dip!!! thanks for posting this!!!

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...