Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Hedgehogs


Hedgehogs often appear in Slavic folktales - but I was surprised to actually see a live one wandering about near our building. Alister and I were walking back from the metro - and it was dark and my peripheral vision caught a large moving mound - too steady to be a rabbit - to big to be a cat and thank goodness not fast enough to be a rat - my LED key chain revealed a hedgehog happily rambling about and doing whatever it is hedgehogs do after dark.
Am still amazed to have seen one in an urban setting.
(actual hedgehog not pictured)

1 comment:

Jeanine said...

OMG cute!!

I remember loaning my purple nail polish in high school to the woman in charge of the two hedgehogs at the Oregon Zoo. She used it to freshen up the purple spot on the quills of one of the hedgehogs so they could tell them apart. ;-)

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...