Monday, April 21, 2008

Odessa Opera - Il trovatore

The Odessa Opera House is reported to be the second most lovely in Europe - after Vienna, and in the top 5 of beautiful opera houses in the world.

With this record - we couldn't pass it up and went to see an Opera - Il trovatore or The Trubador. Unfortunately, there were no projections and the program was only in Ukrainian. Still, the music and surroundings were lovely and we had a nice time. Three days and a Wikipedia search later - we learned the actual plot of what we watched.

It is amazing though how your brain tries to understand - even when it doesn't know the words - at some points in the opera - I swear the words were Russian - Mudri, Horosho, Litco, I even got Alister to second guess himself and wonder if it was in Ukrainian. Of course it was all in Italian and it was just my mind playing tricks on me :-)

The best part about musicals, operas, ballets, and other musical art forms is that in watching them you discover where the bits and snippets of sound bytes originate from - in this case the Anvil Song - though I knew nothing of the opera itself - I recognised this song.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Perfume, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://perfumes-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Jeanine said...

I didn't realize your hair had gotten long! was it long when you started at Linfield? I can't remember... I only remember it short??

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...