Thursday, March 20, 2008

When did you Celebrate St. Patricks Day this year?

So Monday, I was happily minding my own business, wearing green and wishing other American students of Russian a Happy St Patrick's Day. I came home, opened my e-mail and saw that my husband had opened and read the e-card I had sent to him in advance - Being N. Irish - Though not Catholic - he still appreciates St. Patrick - though the American passion for the holiday and the rules about wearing green baffle him.
Did you like the card? I asked him.
Sure, he said, but its not St. Patrick's Day
Of course it is, I said, It's the 17th.
Its holy week
So?
St Patrick's day can't be during holy week.
What are you talking about? St. Patrick's Day is the 17th and today is the 17th.

It's times like this when the internet comes to the rescue - a quick Google and -poof- St. Patrick's day was the 15th!!! Apparently the Catholic church changes the day of the holiday when ever it interferes with Holy Week.

A survey of Americans in Kiev revealed that we had all missed the memo. Even the Christian School observed St Patrick's Day on the 17th and encouraged students to wear green.

So when did you celebrate?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah,

I'm with you it was the 17th, although Dave and I had our St. Patrick's Day dinner on the 15th, but the was just for convenience as Dave cooked a meal that took 4 hours to cook, I had no idea it was the official day this year. However, my US calendar on my desk says its the 17th, go figure.
I have been reading your blog since your last e-mail, and it has been very entertaining, so I thought I would leave you a note. I’m glad to see that life is continuing to treat you well.

Take Care,
Nicole (your collage roommate)

Anonymous said...

oops sorry I meant your college roommate, not collage

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...