Monday, July 28, 2008

A summer series pt 3

Lazy - (Wahzy)

The first thing you notice when you see polish - are all the w's and consonants all crammed together. While everyone assures me it is easier than Russian - as Alister put it - when he sees polish he doesn't know where to begin in trying to pronounce it. I have no idea what the s's and c's do - but the l's definitely make a w sound - and most vowels seem to have a w sound before them too. W's actually are v's - so it can be a little confusing.

Lazy is located up on the Baltic Sea. It was sunny the first day we arrived and the day we left - the rest of the time it was rainy and cold - more like the Oregon coast. But people (not me) still swam (without wet suits). We arrived by night train - 10 hours in a 6 couchette wagon - which means there is no hope of sitting down - you have to lay on your bunk for the duration of the trip. The 6 couchettes also make it a bit tricky with finding a place for all of the passenger's luggage. The Ukrainian wagons are much more comfortable.

Lazy is a tourist town. For three months out of the year - the hotels and campsites are full- bursting with people. The rest of the time - the city lies deserted and open to the weather. Our camp took place at http://www.fala1.pl It was nice - and had rooms for the camp meetings and stiff like that - but it was weird that all the "campers" weren't together in one place/ building - but still there were fun get together times.

The camp was great. It was the first time Alister had ever attended a camp - and he loved it and is already volunteering us to go to every camp the church puts on. He preached and I looked after a couple of toddlers. Wiktor - the 3 year old was teaching me polish. It is not a good idea to try to learn polish from a three year old. Luckily - with Russian and Croatian I was able to communicate the words that mattered. - not good, good, you can, and then I learned the word come. The rest of our time together basically consisted of me repeating what he said and inserting "yes", "no", and "really" at random throughout the conversation. For the most part we got on well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Sarah!!!
What beautiful pictures you've posted!!!
Not only are you a great and funny writer, you've got a knack for picture taking to complement your pieces. I've not heard from you for a while, and thinking about you guys recently brought me to your blog, WOW I AM WAY BEHIND WITH YOUR going ons! I'll have to catch up.

TAKE CARE BOTH OF YOU!!
LauraNV

Anonymous said...

Humm... I'm not really anonymous if I actually post my name, huh?
:-D :-D :-D

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...