Thursday, October 16, 2008

Nuts

Growing up, I remember a huge towering black walnut tree outside of our house. We never ate the walnuts. I remember that the husks turned a deep brown and that your hands were sticky and gooey after touching them. My Aunt Freda had a black walnut somewhere on here property where she lived in Idaho. Whenever we visited she would often have some super sugary walnut desert - and you knew it was black walnut because the dessert always bit back. At our hut - we also have a walnut tree - but this is a "Greek" walnut. A few weeks ago, I asked the guy we are buying the property from if they were ready - and he said - oh yes you can eat them but your hands will turn black. I tried my hand at peeling of the husk and it wouldn't budge and what little pit of shell I did reveal was smooth. I discarded the nut as a lost cause. The next week, the walnuts had "bloomed". The green husk had burst open and inside the walnut sat like an amber gem. I hung a bag around my neck and ran around with rake - knocking the nuts down. At home I washed them and then put them on the balcony to dry. Fresh walnuts are unbelievably tasty - so much richer, more vibrant than the "cured" nut. True, the first day that you crack it - the flesh is full and somewhat slimy - (alister said it looked like a brain and wouldn't touch them till they were farther along in the drying process) but the taste is unbelievable and well worth the minimal "slime" factor. I did have a little bit of a problem with the drying - there wasn't enough air circulation and so I had to finish it off in the oven which made the nuts a bit tough and black in color. If I had waited another week - the nuts would have dried on their own in the tree - hanging on as the leaves fell to the ground and drying in the fall breeze. (I know because I saw our neighbors tree. strangely - our tree is the only walnut in on our street that still has leave. All of the others are bare - except for the walnuts - like Christmas decorations adorning the ends of the branches. I can't help but think that the reason for this has to do with my earlier picking. Next year I will hold out a little longer.

No comments:

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...