Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Perks of Eastern Europe

In 2005, I bought a pair of black boots with heels. My feet are wide, and I've had foot surgery - so I am very picky about the shoes I wear. These looked great and they were super comfortable and so they were winners. Since that time, I've worn them well - so well that I've actually had the heel replaced on them 6 times - which brings me to perk #1 - shoe repair places. Whereas shoe repair in America is hard to come-by and almost the price you paid for your shoe, here your shoe can be good as new for just a few dollars. In the states, my boots would have ended up in a landfill by now and I would have had to buy another pair (true - I probably wouldn't have walked through 6 heels in the states - but that is another issue)

Perk # 2 - Watch repair. Also on virtually every street corner, are watch kiosks. New batteries, an oil job, links, fine tuning, they'll fix it for a few dollars and if he is really good - will even give a you a month or two guarantee on the work.

Perk#3 - Tailors. In every dry cleaner and at least in every neighborhood - you can have your cloths repaired - jeans shortened, zippers replaced, a new variation sewn into those pants to transform them into the latest trend - all for a few dollars. In fact, last year i made a ring sling for a girl in our church who had just had a baby - and I decided to put in different rings - I didn't want to go back and borrow my friends sewing machine again - so i just popped into a tailor - and she replaced the rings for me - in fact - it looked WAY nicer than when I had done it originally.

And then there are the electronic markets where you can take your Tvs, your mobile phones, your lights - anything - and have it fixed. Notice a trend? The perks are that you don't have to go, rush out and buy something new. Yes, sometimes you do - we couldn't find a coffee pot replacement to save our life - but for the most part, you can repair what you have for a reasonable amount. Half the problem in the states is that if you do want to repair something - it costs almost as much as buying it new - so why not buy it new?
But I like my old shoes, and my old watch, and my just the right length jeans perfectly well.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

Totally agree! I have some jeans that need to be hemmed and I'm going to have to do it myself! (Which is why I'm still wearing them rolled up.)

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...