Thursday, August 19, 2010

Superbly Simple Sweets - part 1

With the heat - and no air conditioning - I decided to make a no-bake lemon cookie recipe that a friend gave me while in Northern Ireland (Thanks M!). I served them with this and the whole meal was easy and a hit. ( I really wanted to make this but Alister said it was too strange for Ukrainian guests - I'm making it tonight for us ;->)
So I decided to share my collection of four super delicious no-bake desserts that I've picked up on my travels. To come: Costa Rican Galletas de Coco, Easy Croatian Madjarica, and Ukrainian Chocolate Sausage.

No-Bake Frosted Lemon Bars - via Northern Ireland

For a 9x12 pan
1/2 cup (100 grams) butter

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 lemon, juiced and zested
(may add more juice and zest if more zip is desired)
1 1/2 cups (250 grams) crushed
cookies (Graham crackers, tea biscuits, or animal cookies)
1 cup flaked coconut ** optional - but add more cookies if you leave out


In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt together butter and sweetened condensed milk, stirring frequently until smooth. Stir in crushed biscuits, lemon juice and zest, and coconut (if desired); mix well. Press evenly into pan and refrigerate overnight.

Frosting:
1/2 cup (100 grams) butter (softened)
250 grams powdered sugar
lemon juice

Mix powdered sugar and butter together - add lemon juice to make it into a smooth, spreadable consistency - spread on top of cookie bars. Slice and serve. Store in the refrigerator.


No comments:

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...