Thursday, May 29, 2008

The Zdravstvuite revolution

In some things, I just put my foot down and won't do it another way.

For example - I insist on calling the weather "beautiful" (красивая )when it can only be described as good (хорошо). Recently, however, I have given way slightly on my stance by beginning to call the weather "extremely wonderful/lovely" (прекрасна) - which is just a more Russian way of saying that the weather today is beautiful. My stubbornness in holding to my own idioms isn't to be obstinate - rather - I think that the word I choose sometimes better conveys the spirit that I want to impart - even if it sounds weird to a Russian - the very surprise in hearing a phrase a certain way - doesn't that in itself make you think and consider the beauty of today's weather?

My true stonewall is in the greeting "Здравствуйте!" Hello! (And saying thank you - but that for another day)

Ever since coming to Ukraine - I have insisted on saying "Hello" to people I run into - especially to the door keeper when I enter and leave the building. Alister always laughed at me. "You don't do that he said - maybe when you leave -but definitely not when you come back again." Well, I insisted on saying it - a smile, a wave, and a Zdravstvuite! called out to whoever is watching the door and whatever friends might be near by.

Now, whenever I leave and enter - the doorkeepers themselves eagerly smile, wave, and shout Zdravstvuite. Today, waiting for the lift, I was busy sending a message on my phone - Zdravstvuite ,I heard quietly to my side - but I didn't look up - Zdravstvuite - I heard louder and suddenly someone was shaking my arm. I looked up and it was the jolly doorman (We have 4, who rotate in 24 hour shifts - Maria, Jolly, Sleepy, and the Lame woman)
Oh, I'm sorry, I said, Zdravstvuite! He smiled and waved and walked away.

The revolution has come - Saying hello to people as that you run into shall soon be common practice - if not in all of Kiev - at least on my block - just wait and see.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Love your template photo. Silpo carries brown sugar if you are in Kyiv or can visit.

Jeanine said...

I sure hope so!

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...