Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Quite Contrary . . .

Two words that definitely describe our balcony garden.

Plant update:
Spinach - nill. The last plant to survive the mouse attack died, from something, maybe asphyxiation.
Celery - These blasted plants wont stop growing - they need like a foot of room each and I don't have it - I've been trying to give them more room - but there are only so many containers I can squeeze onto a balcony. I've taken to carrying them two by two to one of my friend's house who has a yard and can hopefully give them a happy hope in the great outdoors - Maybe though I'll talk to the door keeper and see if they will let me invade the flower patch that they tend out side the front door - How will I explain celery to them??
Also - Celery does sprout and even root if you keep the stalks in water and then move it to dirt - unfortunately it also go to seed - so my brilliant plant to grow extra celery won't work - the celery from seed is the best way to go.
Cilantro - Well fortunately, I didn't plant the whole packet of cilantro, and 6 little weak sprouts have sprouted. They seem rather decimated, but the leaves appear to look like celery - and since celery is the only thing that grows on the balcony - I have hope.
Tomatoes - two plants are growing - and I think they even have buds forming. They had been growing in two liter bottles - but I finally transplanted them into slightly bigger containers - Only slightly - like I said there are only so many containers you can squeeze onto a balcony.
Rhubarb - I have two sweet little rhubarb spouts who recovered from the mouse attack and are waiting to be taken out to the Hut and transplanted. I then foresee that they will live happily and sturdily ever after with minimal care. Thank goodness for rhubarb.
2 mystery plants - so I have two cups of dirt that each sprouted green leafy things. I don't know what they are - but my garden has been such a fiasco that I don't want to kill them - maybe one of them is one of the pepper seeds that didn't grow - so for now I am watering them and enjoying the greenery.

3 comments:

Danny and Liese said...

I couldn't find your e-mail address so I'm resorting to leaving a comment on your blog...sorry about not responding to coming to visit before the concert tonight. We have a birthday party to go to at 6pm. We are meeting Cara Denney at about 8:15 at the McDonalds at Poshova Ploshcha, if you want to meet up before the concert.

Danny

Danny and Liese said...

that's PoshTova Ploshcha. I hate transliterating...I always mess it up.

Alister said...

Hey,
No problem. I was trying to find your email today too on one of your sites without success. I was beginning to fear I may have offended you with my Paul McC comment (which was meant in fun, but maybe better left unsaid - sorry)
Hope it went well despite the rain. Thanks for the meeting info, we may have taken you up, but we had arranged to have some folk from church over.

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...