Monday, February 23, 2009

Walking on egg shells

It was inevitable I suppose - but sad all the same.
Haggai broke 5 of our favorite pysanky. Unfortunately the ugly thanksgiving genre Turkey that I couldn't bring myself to throw away survived - but all of our favorites were cracked or shattered.
It came at a rather bad time too as I was trying to make lots of eggs to take with us to England - and now I feel obligated to replace the patterns that we liked so as not to forget how to do them. This plan hasn't worked very well. The black floral designs I reproduced quickly - but they broke when in the blowing process. The 40 Apron patterns all turned out great - but not the same brilliant pattern. Pysanky are really alot like snow flakes.
Fortunately - none of the goose eggs were broken as that would have been really tragic.

Meanwhile, I gathered a group of people together Saturday and we went to a pysanky master class by Оксана Білоус. She lives close to me and is my supply distributor she also paints pysanky for Yushenko. Anyway, I thought that it would be a good time to try out what sort of toys and tools she has and decide if I want to invest more or not. My wish list of what to buy in America (where things are oddly cheaper) has added up and so my main waffle is to buy or not to buy the electric Kitsak. She makes and sells an electric set of 5 and it is cheaper than the states - at least with current exchange rates - and it is amazing what they do - I finally took the plunge and decided to try an Ivano Franko design which is vitrually impossible for all but the expert with a regular Kitsak. I suceeded - but still have a long way to go. This design took me at least 2 hours!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! It's always the ugly ones that are indestructible. I don't even really like the ones I made, but I felt compelled to bring them back to the U.S. and keep them out somewhere. Maybe I should give them to our cat, Lilly, and see what happens!

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...