Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Differing Histories

Outside of our window, we can see fireworks almost every weekend. Fireworks are freely available here all year long and people buy them for weddings, birthdays, and other miscellaneous celebrations. Last night, during our firework display, our conversation turned to purchasing fireworks.
At least, when we have kids, I said, we should buy fireworks on the 4th of July.
The 4th of November, Alister said.
Why then?
Guy Fawkes Day, he said.
Sure we can have fireworks then too, I said.
No, just then, he said.
It would be part of the children's history, I answered.
Its a tragic history. There are countries begging to be part of the commonwealth who were never under British Rule. Besides, its ridiculous to buy fireworks on a day that celebrates your rebellion, he said, with just that tone of voice that implied America's independence to be a personal affront.
And what does being part of the common wealth give you? I asked.
Prestige, he said solemnly.
That's no good, I said. Without the revolution we never would have met.
There would have been even more of a chance of our meeting, he countered. I would have been an overseer in the colonies and you would have come to me to get something signed or ask for patronage.

The conversation ended here because I couldn't manage a cohesive sentence through my laughter.

1 comment:

becki said...

Sarah -- I just read this to Devin, and his response was that he misses Alister very much. For some reason, it all sounds so familiar to him from his conversations with Alister in their old apartment, he from his bedroom and Alister from his cubby, discussing the ways of the world.

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...