Tuesday, November 10, 2009

3 ingredients short of a sandwich

I found myself today wishing I could eat a Reuben Sandwich. The delectable, crisp, buttery rye overflowing with melted swiss, sauerkraut, and corned beef - and don't forget the Russian dressing!

Unfortunately - not only are there no places in Kiev that sell reubens (to my knowledge )- but not only can you not buy Russian dressing - but surprisingly Sauerkraut isn't present either. Ok - the un-availability of corned beef isn't a surprise.

Truth be told, I've never made a Reuben myself - I order them on rare occasions - the last one this June with my Mom at the Dayton Bookstore and Brewery. Yum.

So i scour the internet - all things must be able to be made from scratch is my motto - and so they can. If i can track down Prague powder and juniper berries - i can have Corned Beef at my disposal in a mere 10 days. Sauerkraut another 20. I think I can live without the Russian dressing - but then again, there is bound to be a recipe for it or thousand island somewhere on the internet as well. A grocery story in the center sells a beautiful rye - much nicer than the Ukrainian Baton you can buy in the kiosks - and swiss can be bought in any supermarket. If all goes well - I may be sinking my teeth into a Reuben within a month. Maybe I could even open a grill and add Cheesesteaks, Monte Cristos and other purely American inventions to the lineup.

1 comment:

Dawn said...

The Hubers might have a sauerkraut stash. I know they have it at Thanksgiving, just don't know how much they stock.

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...