Friday, May 21, 2010

Baby Wearing outside the PNW

Baby wearing is a relatively new phenomenon here in Ukraine. And even that is limited to - mostly around the home and primarily in commercial carriers - such as a baby bjorn or an ergo or something similar. Walking around my neighborhood - you will see strollers. Lots and lots of strollers and prams - but for some things they are just bulky - it is much faster to put the kid in a carrier to run to the store for a quick purchase than have to deal with a stroller. Don't get me wrong - we have a stroller, and will be using it - but especially now while she is small- I'm using a sling.

Slings are sold in Ukraine -but I have never seen one in use. In fact, there is a Ukrainian company that is making them (they sell other "eco" and granola-y products as well that you can't find anywhere else - like organic wood chew toys and diaper liners) and on their website they specifically say that "Our store is quite unusual and the list of our merchandise for young mothers is very unique" -In other words - the baby wearing revolution is far from here.

As I walk around with my sling - I get a lot of stares. As far as I can tell, Ukrainians are in shock that 1) I am carrying a baby out and about so young, and 2) that she is in a sling and not flat on her back in a pram. Aside from the general stares -Ive received 3 polite inquiries from strangers into what I am doing and if it is safe and 1 out right lecture which I walked away from after politely explaining that her back was straight, that she could hear my heart, and that it was comfortable for her.

But, obviously, as a new, conscientious parent, after the 1st inquiry I did do a search and found that most doctors recommend baby wearing - if done correctly. Wikipedia raves about it. In fact, I couldn't find a single site saying pediatricians were against it. On the contrary - I found sites that said it helped head development, hip development, and reduced crying. Sounds like a winner to me. Moreover, the position she takes in the sling is exactly the same position she goes into naturally when I lay her on her stomach or place her on my shoulder.

Here are a few more reasons why we like slings:
1) They are the most affordable way to transport a child from 0 - 2 years (or more if your back holds up!). I made my ring sling for $8. Even on the Ukrainian site - slings cost a fraction of the price of a more "traditional" carrier"
2) Slings are easier to learn how to use than wraps and "carries" are more versitile than "traditional" carriers.
3) Slings can easily be adjusted for mommy and daddy without a headache
4) In Ukraine - w/o carseat laws (and we don't have a car) we feel that having the baby tightly in a sling around mommy or daddy adds a bit of security in a taxi or on a bumpy metro. (Safer than a mother's arms?)
5) The excess fabric on a sling works as a nursing cover
6) The sling is the most lightweight carrier (unless you have a super bulky fabric)
7) The excess fabric works as a sun cover - or a germ cover on the metro - or a cover for sitting on the ground or bench (note - wash sling frequently).

2 comments:

Nicole S. said...

Such a cute picture of the two of you. Of the four new mom's I know 3 use slings.

Dawn said...

Glad it's working well. I think I've gotten comments every time I've been out with Stevie in the sling - pretty much all positive.

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...