Monday, March 7, 2011

Philosophy

There are so many philosophies you have to take a stance on when you become a parent.
Feeding, Sleeping, diapering, routines, discipline, potty training, eating, learning - and my latest obsession - footwear.

Saphira has extra wide feet - and I am thankful for all the very thorough measure at home guides - especially at Startrite. And I am also thankful for all the new options in footwear (esp wide footwear) that wasn't there when I was growing up.

So I'm sorting through it - the different brands, the different philosophies, the different ways of getting stuff to Ukraine. And while the philosophy behind baby footwear in Ukraine is very far from our own (barefoot is NOT best here) - There are some options for us. (The idea to ask a shoemaker to custom make something didn't pan out- philosophies and language being the key barriers)

My most interesting find? Neighboring Poland actually invented a super flexible shoe. Maybe we'll have to investigate on a future visa run.

Until then, we managed to find some 1st shoes that were wide enough for Saphira's feet. Now when we go for a walk - she can get out of the stroller to bounce on the end of my fingers while she talks to the pigeons.

2 comments:

Dawn said...

And they're cute, too!

Margaret, Jeremy, Evelyn & Isaiah said...

when I was at Fred Meyer the other day I saw some slipper socks that had a molded rubbery sole - supposedly to help keep babies from slipping on smooth surfaces, but it looked like they'd work to be worn outside at least minimal wear, you probably wouldn't want to walk any great distance in them. Next time i'm there I'll look more closely and maybe can send you some info on them.

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...