Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Cakes - phase two

If you're following along - I'm baking an insane number of cakes and cupcakes for our one-tomorrow daughter. Did I mention I've never done cake decorating before? Frosting yes, decorating no.

Cake status
total batches of cakes baked: 7
Recipes used: 4 (used another Hershey - but it is untested as it is a cake base, not a cupcake)
1 large round cake in freezer
2 rectangle cakes in freezer
22 unfrosted large cupcakes in freezer
8 partially frosted large cupcakes in freezer
over 100 unfrosted mini cupcakes in freezer

Today I did the final baking and did a frosting test run with the Ukrainian dyes.
I also decorated Saphira's Sugar-free sirnik that I colored/sweetened with pureed cherries.
Then I decorated 4 cupcakes and 2 other sirnik "cakes" that I'm going to drop by a friend's tomorrow - her son was also born on the 13th!

All the sirnik bug were made using a silicone "bug" form.

The frosting of the cupcakes is taking as much if not more time than I feared - I think I'll put a call out for Saturday help.

Phase three will be Thursday night when I make the "big" flat cake for the country team meeting - as well as make up 30 hard boiled eggs for deviled eggs. Eek.

No comments:

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...