Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Incredible edible eggs

I normally buy my eggs from the egg wagon on the way home from the supermarket. Okay - so its the back of a truck - but wagon sounds better. My last egg lady (they seem to move around alot - she was my 4th) always made sure to give me the freshest eggs and would even refuse to sell them to me if they weren't fresh enough - all because I had a baby in tow.
This new egg lady has been pushing me to buy Quail eggs. Well, They're cute enough - but I really didn't see the point. A year or so ago when we were in Ivano-frankivska, the woman we stayed with gave her young daughter raw quail eggs in a yogurt type drink every morning - for health and to fight against radiation and several other health benefits that i took with an interested nod and a generous dose of skeptic's salt.
Well, when the egg lady keeps trying to get you to buy something, the least you can do is find out about it. While I couldn't find any totally authoritative source on the internet, I found enough pseudo sources saying similar things that you just have to believe that they are healthier for you than chicken eggs. Actually the item that most caught my attention was that Quail eggs have twice the iron content of a chicken egg packed into their small shell.
Iron is incredibly important for growing babies and as we don't have all the iron enriched (or no-sugar) cereals that there are in other places Saphira's diet is probably a bit low on natural iron - at least according to the iron calculator. And since I can get 10 eggs for 3 uah (I think) - they're a bargain compared to western prices - so i think I'll give them a try. We'll see if it helps us run faster, jump higher, and conquer illness with a single egg.

No comments:

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...