Friday, September 21, 2007

Opaque Black Glasses

I've seemingling missed my chance to be an election observer.

I had thought I had done everything right - called the right people, filled out the appropriate forms. I even read 300 pages of material in order to take (and pass) an official OSCE test for people working with the OSCE.

It turns out, that all the right people - weren't quite right. I did more that was necesary and yet managed to do none of the right things at all in order to be an observer. When I called again on Wednesday - just wanting to follow up - I was informed that the Central Election Committee was no longer accepting applications.
Well what about my application, I asked.

They hadn't heard of me. When I told them the process I had gone through she said she was sorry but that they hadn't heard of that and that the Embassy must have misunderstood and told me the wrong thing.

Sigh.

The worst part is that even my BackAlley connection turned out to be a little sketchy.

After three phone calls - always at progressively later times each night (the last calling at 11pm to set up an appointment for the next day without telling me a time or a place for the appointment) we finally managed to meet. Basically he called "the next day" I dropped everything and went to meet him then rather than meet him at 10pm at night in an unkonown region of the city - which was his first proposition.

He says that he can get me - or rather - has requested an Observer position for me. However, he will tell me more about this when i come to a festival that he and others, who he doesn't want to mention or go into details about, are sponsoring next Wednesday at 10am. This is, afterall, only the first time that we have met and is only the start of our relationship. At this next meeting he would be able to tell me more about the possibility of observing and even give me an observer pass to go and Observe wherever i want. I would be observing alone, without a group or anyone to report to. - Except I would be expected to share my experience with him and his collegues at three other Festivals to take place in April, June and October of next year on Dates which were revealed to him by God just as God revealed the plan of the New Jeruselm Temple to Moses and told him to build a copy of it on earth.

The most curious thing about the meeting was that he had three books in front of them, and he referred to them off an on throughout our conversation. However, with one of the books he always put on glasses while with the other books, he read without the glasses. This in itself may not seem strange, if not for the composition of the glasses themselves.

Each of the glasses lenses was made from solid, opaque black plastic. Within each lens, several, small, pinsized holes had been drilled so that 12 - 20 small holes penetrated the surface. An observer could not have seen the eyes of the reader through the holes, and to my mind, the reader would have had a very difficult time trying to read through a small splattering of holes.

The man didn't cooperate with answering any of my questions. I had already been in his office and hour and decdied that something so mysterious as the impenatrable black glasses, would be met with an equally opaque answer as those i had been given regaurding other matters. I decided to leave.

Still, I would like to know what the glasses were for.

No comments:

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...