Friday, September 21, 2007

Organizing orSpices

In my mother's kitchen, seasonings neatly occupy two lazy susans on the bottom and middle shelves of her cupboard. Though some herbs and spices are more beloved than others, the place of each is dictated not by frequence of use or love, but rather by whatever scientific study or luck granted to each seasoning its English name begining with one of the 26 letters of the latin alphabet. The seasoning are stacked in two contentric circles on the lazy susans - cinnamon, clove, corriander, cumin, etc.

After scouring the streets and stores of Kiev, I have finally purchased an ample store of all the useful seasonings that I am bound to use and which are available in Kiev. Some were harder than others to locate. Rosemary and Sage - for example - can only be found in the bulk food store - though I did once see a Babushka selling live rosemary plants, most Ukrainians are not likely to know what I want when I ask for rozmarin.

Now that I have my spices, I'm not uite sure what to do with them. Not only do I not have a lazy susan, but neither do the spices come in compact bottles and tubes that can be easily arranged and stacked. Rather they come in large, paper packages, which take up an abundant amount of space and are always falling over. I finally solved this problem by cuttin ghte topp off of a cerial box and stuffing the packets in the box in mimicry of a poorly formed roladex.

I had thought this would solve the problem, but unfortunately, no. The first time I went to cook - I discovered that I didn't know where my seasoning were and had to flip through every item in the box to find what i wanted. How do I organize the the spices? Alphbetically by their English names didn't work - because the packages are in Russian - But I don't know all the russian names yet - and who knows when I actually will get them all. Second - i don't know the correct order of the Russian alphabet, and not only are some of the letters in very differnt places (V coming after B) but some of the letters are completely diferent (a "sh" letter for instance that looks like a double UU).

There seem to be only three alternatives
1) I learn the Russian Alphabet and organize alphabetically using Cyrillic letters
2) I relable all of the packages in English
3)I invent a new order of the russian Alphabet that makes sense to me but not anyone else.

So far option number three is the most attractive - but we'll see how long its functionality will take it.

1 comment:

Brandon and Gyna said...

Leave it to me to say that more is less (confusing that is)...why don't you get a collection of same size containers, clear, and place the package contents inside. Similar to buying empty spice jars...then you can relabel in english but with russian too so you'll learn them.

A Return to the Blog

This blog first started after we arrived in Ukraine and set up house on the 14th storey of an apartment on the outskirts of Kiev. Since then...